Wednesday, February 28, 2018

What's your Puppy Trying to Say?


Have you ever wondered what little Fido was trying to tell you? Most of us wish that our furry companions had the ability to talk. When we think about communication, we often think about speaking and signaling, but don’t consider facial expressions. Thankfully, a deeper examination of animal communication could change your relationship with your best friend.



In 2013, a study by researchers at Walden University aimed to explore the classification of canine facial expressions from photographs. Both experienced and non-experienced dog owners were shown photographs of dogs with different facial expressions, with each expression previously categorized into an emotion. Experienced dog owners had an upper hand in identifying situations that were behaviorally defined, while non-experienced dog owners were better at detecting aggressiveness. 

Many people consider dogs to have a strong ability to form emotional bonds with humans. They’re also socially interesting animals whose experience shapes their behavior. Personally, I’ve rescued two dogs that came from completely different backgrounds. At times, I find it extremely difficult to understand their emotions. I’m thankful that I learned this now, so I could be more observant to their needs, as they are of mine.

Rund Tawfiq (3)

6 comments:

  1. As a fellow dog owner, I find that this resonates a lot, especially since my dog has anxiety issues that end up really inhibiting her ability to communicate with other dogs. It is very interesting to see the quantitative depth of the facial cues involved in canine communication with humans, I am also interested to know how that compares/contrasts to communication with other dogs.
    Harris Jackson (1)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog has anxiety as well and it has been extremely helpful to get some clues about how she's feeling through her facial expressions! My dog is also not very fond of other dogs, and I've noticed that she tends to glare her teeth in an aggressive manner when they approach.

      Delete
  2. This did not really come as a shock to me. I expected that humans would be able to distinctly interpret facial expressions since the ability to recognize emotions and empathy would have probably given individuals that had this ability an upper hand. I never really expected any other species besides humans to convey emotion through facial expressions.

    -Trung Le (2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you! I definitely did not expect that any other type of animal had this ability. There is still a lot to be explored in the field of animal communication, and specifically human and animal communication, so we can only imagine how many other species also posses this ability.

      - Rund Tawfiq (3)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting a puppy since forever now. I feel like if I do become a dog owner one day, I'd love to learn and notice the different facial expression my dog has. I'll grow to understand him/her and have that relationship. I would definitely consider dogs to have the ability to form emotional bonds with humans. This article makes me think how smart dogs/animals really are.
    -Catherine Tsang (3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are extremely intelligent! They are also very aware and attentive, and are often motivated by the feelings of their owners! This makes them great companions and I definitely agree that understanding their facial expressions really strengthens our relationships with them

      - Rund Tawfiq (3)

      Delete