It's leaves, when touched, will cause a severe reaction on the skin that burns and blisters for hours, and if you are unlucky enough to choose this tree to stand under when its raining, the water itself will cause the same reaction as soon as it touches your skin. This poison is so dangerous, that if you look up to the rain and the water gets in your eyes, it can cause complete blindness almost immediately. Even the wood itself can blind you if you mistake it for potential firewood. As if this tree couldn't get any more deadly, the fruit it bears will kill you upon ingestion. Luckily for travels and tourists, the Manchineel tree is usually marked by a bright red sign signaling a warning for an unsuspecting passerby.
Grace Houghton (1)