Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Understanding the Power of Meditation

Understanding the Power of Meditation


At one point or another, we all have felt significant stress or anxiety. Currently, one of the most recommended methods for reducing this stress or anxiety is to practice meditation or mindfulness. In fact, doctors across various specialties have recently begun to prescribe meditation just as they would pharmaceutical medications. With numerous smartphone apps such as “Calm” and “Headspace” claiming that they can reduce anxiety, increase memory, and improve focus, many of us are left wondering how exactly meditation can have so many direct benefits.  

This was the question addressed by Bin He, a neuroengineer at Carnegie Mellon University, in his study on brain activity in Tibetan monks. Due to the fact that Tibetan monks dedicate years of their lives to meditation, Bin He was interested in identifying any significant differences in their brain activity that might explain how regular meditative practice can lead to so many direct benefits. To do this, He measured the brain activity of monks with on average 15 years of meditative experience, and then compared this activity with the brain activity of native Tibetans who had never meditated before. By utilizing electroencephalography (EEG), He and his colleagues found that long-term meditative practice decreases activity in the default network, which is described as the “letting your mind wander” network. In addition, they also found that the longer a monk had been in practice, the larger the reduction in default network activity was. He claims that overall, active meditative practice helps to “optimize” how the brain self-regulates and uses resources. 

In addition to this, Michael Posner, a neuropsychologist at the University of Oregon, along with his colleague Yi-Yuan Tang, have previously conducted studies that demonstrate the distinct changes in white matter resulting from active meditative practice. Specifically, this change in white matter refers to the increased myelination of axons, which allows for more efficient communication via action potentials between different regions of the brain. This increase in myelin also surrounds the anterior cingulate, which has vast connections to the limbic or emotional system. This provides a possible explanation as to why meditation can help reduce anxiety, enhance focus, and improve one's mood. In a related study Posner and Tang also found that participants exhibited improved attention and problem solving skills, along with decreased cortisol (stress hormone) levels in as little as five days. 

Generally speaking, there is significant evidence to support the claim that consistent active meditative practice offers an abundance of direct benefits to the brain, and by extension, to one's psychological/emotional health. Although research on meditation is still limited, current research shows that the best type of meditation is the type that an individual is most likely to practice consistently. With numerous smartphone apps ranging in price from 0-$5, meditative practice has never been more convenient and widely available. Just think, if someone started meditating today, within a week that person would experience reduced anxiety and improved problem solving skills. Why can’t that person be you? 

Posted by Kayla Rosiello (3)

13 comments:

  1. I find this post very interesting because I used to be very skeptical about mediation. However, on vacation this summer, my friend and I wanted to try something new- so we decided to sign up for 4 mediation classes that took place early morning on the beach. I remember at first trying to concentrate too hard, and stressing over the fact that I may not be feeling what the instructor was expressing. However, as time passed and the second and third session came along, I began to notice a difference in state of mind. I was able to relate to the "letting your mind wander"network because I think I have experienced a certain degree of it! From this summer experience I have a totally different view of meditation and I think it could have the potential to help out very stressed students. I think its great and would love to try out a session or two here at Umass this semester!

    -Elise Babula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mediation is a tool that was too long neglected by western medicine, like so many other homeopathic practices. It is a great way to clear your head and process emotional stress. Though I don't practice meditation myself, I'm very fond of yoga. I feel like it has the same effect as meditation because you clear your head and concentrate only on breathing. And it is also helps strengthening your muscles. However, I wonder to what extent the Tibetian monks improved their mental state through meditation and not through their peaceful and immaterial lives.
    -Gene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever seen that video of a monk lighting himself on fire? I just found the link: https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-burning-monk-1963/
      Posted by Lauren Mason

      Delete
    2. Thank you for reading my post! I agree, I believe western medicine neglects alternative medical practices such as homeopathy and naturopathy in favor of allopathc treatment using pharmaceutical medications. To answer your question, i'm not certain the extend to which the monks peaceful lives affected the activity within their neuronal network. Its somewhat like the chicken and the egg since it could also be asked to what the extent their neuronal network activity affected their quality life. However, the area of the brain undergoing increased myelination is the area of the brain that is involved with deep focus, and emotional regulation. Therefore, I would attribute this mylination more to the the concentration required during long periods of active meditation than to the serenity of their daily lives.

      Posted by Kayla Rosiello

      Delete
  3. I used not believe in meditation, until i tried it myself. Like Gene said, mediation has been neglected by a long time because the fact that people don't believe in it. the first time i meditated, i felt very stress free, everything was peaceful and i was able to forget about my problems for a little bit. Although this might not work for everyone, ti think everyone should try it once in their live. I wonder if it's the lack of actual "medicine" that makes people not interested in trying meditation as a form of medicine.
    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never really been one to believe in meditation. Since all of these apps have begun surfacing, it has started to interest me since I do deal with a lot of stress (as do most people). I am always looking for ways to relax and allow my mind a little bit of peace every now and then. It would be interesting to see if I could get results out of meditation and experience stress relief. I wonder why exactly cortisol levels decrease with meditation, were there any articles that led to an explanation of this?

    -Brianna Luciani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post! I also have been skeptical of the benefits of meditation in the past, and am interested in starting a regular practice to manage stress. To answer your question, I believe that the cortisol levels decrease gradually after consistent meditation due to the increased mylination surrounding the anterior cingulate, which forms various connection with the limbic system which is involved in emotional regulation. There was no specification in the article, however I would assume that this increased emotional regulation will reduce adrenal gland activity and thus the release of cortisol.

      Posted by Kayla Rosiello

      Delete
  5. I always thought meditation was a myth. I never thought it could actually help with stress. One day a nurse at my doctors office suggested that I try meditation to deal with some unwanted stress and anxiety. I began to meditate before bed and try and do a yoga class once a week when I can. I noticed an immediate result. I don't think meditation is for everyone but if you really focus on it, I think it can help a lot of people. It allows you to feel like the weight has been lifted off your shoulders. It makes me feel super relaxed at least. I think meditation is a great form of stress/anxiety relief. I wonder if there is more evidence to back this up? it is definitely something I plan on looking into more.
    - Sophie DeRepentigny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always considered meditating, especially before an exam when I feel most anxious. Unfortunately Im never successful. I wonder what methods would be helpful for someone who's only begin to meditate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always considered meditating, especially before an exam when I feel most anxious. Unfortunately Im never successful. I wonder what methods would be helpful for someone who's only begin to meditate?

    -Fredjah Desmezeaux

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is astonishing how Asian society has been practicing meditation for many centuries now and is engrained into the cultures naturally as basic meditation principles and health benefits are only now being commonly introduced in Western society. I think that Western society could take a much more holistic approach to psychological issues instead of resorting solely to antidepressants and external therapy without also emphasizing the amazing power one has over their own mind. I think that meditation could be very beneficial for many people and it is a neutral practice that won't interfere with religious beliefs that many other medical practices do. It also makes sense how meditating and letting the brain 'reset' in a way through focus can improve brain function and white matter from knowing neuroscience and how complex and fast-paced neural firing can be.

    Posted by Brian Lee (3)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meditation has helped me exponentially through various stages in my life. I only discovered it about three years ago, but since then I have lived in two different states and it really helped me just to the different pace of life in each place.
    Liz Clark

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have found meditation to be extremely helpful in my life.I have read many articles on it too that also doubt it and mention the action of believing in the benefits of it. In my case it took a while for me to start to notice the benefits or "medicinal" value. It is extremely helpful to relive stress and I highly recommend trying it from 15-20 minutes for a week.
    -Joshua Gach

    ReplyDelete