Wednesday, February 17, 2016

From the Edge of Extinction

Extinction isn't something that will solve itself. Humans cause many different problems for the natural inhabitants of land we decide to make our own. From poaching animals to the expansion and growth of cities, we are dealing large amounts of damage to our ecosystem, sometimes in ways that weren't expected. For instance, the national animal of New Zealand, the kiwi bird (they actually resemble the fruit), can be broken down into 5 species. Two of the species are vulnerable to extinction, and two are endangered. The cause? Deforestation of their habitats, as well as the introduction of different mammalian predators by settlers. These predators wouldn’t have made it to the islands without human involvement.

In the image above, this steep island is called Ball’s Pyramid, formed from a volcano that rose above the ocean. It is here that a species, once considered extinct, was rediscovered and brought back from the edge of the extinction. This species is known as the Lord Howe stick insect. 100 years ago, a supply ship crashed onto Lord Howe Island (13 miles away from Ball’s Pyramid). This island was the original home of these stick insects, but this crash released unwelcomed passengers into a whole new ecosystem. I’m not referring to humans, but instead black rats that managed to hide away on the boat. Similar to the predators of the kiwi bird, these rats then treated themselves to a new meal that was easy for them to acquire, the Lord Howe stick insects. Within only two years, there were no more sightings of this creature.

It seemed as though that was the end of another species, until the 1960s when rumors sprung up of recently dead stick bugs being seen on Ball’s Pyramid. In 2001 scientists went to take a closer look, and at first found no clues to a stick insect living there. Then, in somewhat of a miraculously event, they spotted a single bush growing out of the cracks in some rocks. Under this bush, they found large insect droppings. Since the stick insects are nocturnal, they returned at night and on the bush they found 2 of the presumed extinct Lord Howe stick insect. Under the bush, 22 more were found.
 
*Fun Fact: Europeans first called these insects "Tree Lobsters" because of their size and exoskeleton.

From this point, scientists had to deliberate in order to decide what the best course of action would be. They decided that 4 out of the 24 could be removed from their home in order to attempt to repopulate the species. Sadly the first two died relatively quickly, but the second two ended up successfully mating and having offspring. Humans were able to reverse the loss of a species, and in a way, redeem themselves for causing the extinction in the first place. The focus needs to change now to keep animals that are entering extinction from disappearing forever.


Posted by Chris Richard
http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

4 comments:

  1. Good day every one i want to inform the public on how i get cured of HIV/AIDS by a Doctor called OBUDU . i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him but i faund people testimony online testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me his herbal certificate and license given to him by his Government he gave all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now HIV negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great men. Am so excited, you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2347035974895.or contact him on email(OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM)
    And he can also cure the following diseases
    1) HERPES
    2) HPV
    4) HEPATITIS
    5) ALS
    6) BLOOD CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been suffering from a deadly disease (Hsv) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lIot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Onokun helped someone in curing his (Hsv) herpes disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete