Wednesday, February 3, 2016

To Shave or not to Shave: The Hunt for New Antibiotics



            Quite recently great debate has swept the web based on one furry topic: beards. Concern arose when media sources like the New York Post reported that beards are full of fecal bacteria, according to a team of microbiologists led by John Golobic of Quest Diagnostics. However, in response to these findings a team of microbiologists at University College London discovered something much more appealing about what’s hiding in a man’s beard…

            Adam Roberts, the senior lecturer in microbial diseases at the University College London, and his team set out to test the theory proposed by Golobic, but found no concrete support. After further investigation, Roberts’s team discovered that some bacteria found in beards actually contain antibiotic properties. Through agar plate testing with an indicator strain Roberts’ team found that from a sample of twenty beards around twenty-five percent of one hundred different isolates contained these properties. Due to the adaptive nature of several diseases, like pneumonia, existing antibiotics are proving less and less effective. In addition to beards, Roberts has around fifty different bacteria samples from trampolines, refrigerators and even cats that prove effective against multiple indicator strains. These bacteria could be key in discovering new antibodies to combat drug-resistant strains of deadly diseases currently developing resistance.

            Whether it be fecal bacteria or super bacteria, or both living in a man’s beard the thought leads one to wonder what other microscopic organisms living on us could lead to major advances in disease treatment. Perhaps it’s a simple mutualistic relationship where the bacteria have a warm, cozy home and kill off any invaders trying to take over their patch of hair. Whatever the case may be, make sure to wash your hands frequently and appreciate a nice beard every once in a while, it might save your life one day.


References:

Posted By Allen Currier (Group 1)
           


8 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool. We were talking in one of my bio classes about how some organisms have the ability to fight certain toxins. This is because they produce a certain bacteria that helps the body defend against the toxin. It turns out they don't produce it, they get it from their diets. I wonder if this is the same type of thing.

    Nick Michienzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick it would be interesting if there is some component of our diet that allows these bacteria to thrive, but perhaps they require a specific environment to live and beards are the perfect place.

      Allen Currier

      Delete
  2. I think its interesting that a beard can serve a purpose like this and be a factor for better survival. This concept reminds me of a similar hair related benefit I learned about in an evolution class. We learned that body hair may be thicker on a human living in a hotter area due to its ability to prevent mosquitoes from reaching the skin. It's proof that hair is indeed an adaptation for helping humans survive, and this beard example demonstrates that a beard (especially nowadays) can be more than just a fashion statement.

    Erina Taradai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In terms of evolution it makes you wonder what other adaptations we've acquired that we don't realize have multiple functions, even on the microscopic level like in this situation.

      Allen Curreir

      Delete
  3. Hello, am Tanya Albert from United State. am happy sharing this great testimony on how i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Ekpiku, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com) I Explained everything to him and he prepared me a herbal medicine that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after making use his herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Ekpiku, that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS,LOW SPERM COUNT, ALS , ANCE PIMPUS , LUPUS VIRUS, You Can "CONTACT him Via : Email : (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com) or call +16506538578 You Can Contact Him Today And Get Your Problem Solved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day every one i want to inform the public on how i get cured of HIV/AIDS by a Doctor called OBUDU . i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him but i faund people testimony online testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me his herbal certificate and license given to him by his Government he gave all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now HIV negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great men. Am so excited, you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2347035974895.or contact him on email(OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM)
    And he can also cure the following diseases
    1) HERPES
    2) HPV
    4) HEPATITIS
    5) ALS
    6) BLOOD CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete