About 80% of the garbage located in The Great Pacific Garbage Patch comes from land-based activities. This consists of plastic bags, bottles, and other consumer products. The remaining 20% comes from boaters, oil rigs, and large cargo ships. There are many different types of trash that enter the ocean but all of the plastic products is what makes up the majority of the garbage patch. This is because plastic is non biodegradable and instead break down into smaller pieces.
So why should we care? The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is a major issue that is mainly affecting marine life. Seals and other marine mammals are getting tangled due to the growing number of abandoned plastic fishing nets. Animals mistake the debris for food and consume these products which can produce harmful toxins. Ingesting these harmful toxins can cause health problems and eventually lead to death.
Its time to make a difference. Scientists have agreed that the best way to start cleaning up the The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is by limiting or eliminating our use of disposable plastics and increasing our use of biodegradable resources. That way it prevents more garbage from getting pulled in by the currents. Organizations such as the Plastic Pollution Coalition and the Plastic Oceans Foundation are using social media and direct action campaigns to support individuals, manufacturers, and businesses in their transition from toxic disposable plastics to biodegradable or reusable materials.
Posted By: Rebecca Thomas