Saturday, April 15, 2017

Keep It All Inside

As it stands, the environment is in dire straits, but new energy innovations, like those at Netpower, are encouraging. Netpower, a clean energy company, has developed a turbine that can be retrofitted to existing coal burning plants in order to use the emitted high-pressure carbon dioxide (CO2) to generate power, instead of releasing it into the atmosphere, removing the need for the smokestack entirely. This process is known as the Allam Cycle. 

The Allam Cycle, courtesy of Netpower.com

Containing the CO2 generates power at no additional cost to the system. It totally removes emissions and yields enough wattage to power thousands of homes. Current power plants exhaust nitrous oxide, carbon and sulfur dioxide, mercury, as well as a myriad of particulate matter. Extant clean energy efforts use a Band-Aid approach to reducing these harmful emissions. The equipment used to do so is expensive and energy-intensive to operate. The Allam Cycle removes this inefficiency from the equation by using the emissions as the propulsion agent to power turbines, rather than clunky and costly steam heat. 

Netpower operates out of Durham, NC and is planning on installing a demo plant this year in order to convince investors that their power is worth putting money towards. I'm holding out hope that they will be able to persuade potential investor to reach deep into their pockets. In the thick of the new coal-fetishizing administration, coal isn't going anywhere, but this offers a realistic compromise. It is unlikely that special interest groups lobbying against its implementation, as the industries with the most power are the ones who will benefit most. 

Posted by Owen Mulledy (C)

Source: https://netpower.com/technology/#

2 comments:

  1. This technology seems like it could be the best of both worlds. Like you said, coal isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, no matter how much we don’t like it. I think this invention is a really great way to please the people who want to continue burning coal as well as the people who are concerned about our environment and the emission of green house gasses. This turbine does not replace the use of coal, but alleviates the effects coal burning could have on our environment while also creating even more energy. This really is a genius invention and I would love to see it put into action as soon as possible because I think it could possibly be a long term solution to coal burning.

    Posted by Taylor Irwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everyone! My name is CHERRYSHANE. I was diagnosed with HERPES 2 in April of 2012 when I was 24 years old who just completed my MA in sociology at the University of Northern Colorado where I explored the role of stigma in the process of disclosing a genital herpes diagnosis.I have wanted to get this virus cured, I am happy to share that with you! few weeks ago i came on search on the INTERNET if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr ERO and she also gave the email address (eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com) and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help so i told my husband about it the he ask me to write him because this pain has been constant especially in my knees. so i wrote to Dr ERO telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that it was going to be cured!! then i took the medicine he sent me, which few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured hence i have taken the medicine and then after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE. I can understand that lots of people are been diagnosed with this same virus so am excited to be able to share some of my experiences and thoughts about this man that you can as well contact him for help living with genital herpes is not a good thing..HERE ARE HIS CONTACT: EMAIL : (eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com) OR YOU CAN AS WELL VISIT HIS his website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com BETTER STILL CALL OR whats-app HIM via+2348161850195..GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete