Thursday, April 13, 2017

Life is Better with a Dog

-->

            Of the many people who own a dog or have grown up with a dog in their household, researchers have said that those people have a decreased chance of having asthma and allergies as they grow older. An article called “Microbiome: Puppy Power” talked about how babies or children who were exposed to a dog at an early age were able to enrich their microbiome which later showed a decrease in the number of them getting asthma and allergies. Researchers showed that “children who grow up with dogs have lower rates of asthma than those who do not.” These researchers have thought that when people are exposed to a little dirt when they’re younger, their bodies can build a better defense mechanism and enhance their immunity.
Having a dog can increase a person’s chances of their body fighting off diseases or allergies and viruses better than the people who grew up with parents that kept them in a bubble and made everyone sanitize their hands prior to holding their child. The research showed that families who had pets, with 70% being dogs, also had higher levels of Firmicutes microbes. Among these microbes are Ruminococcus and Oscillospira and they are associated with lower risks and reducing allergic diseases and even decreasing obesity. So if you have a dog, hug it a little tighter and appreciate all they’re doing for you even if they just sleep all day long and eat your homework.

Posted by Ana Carolina Nepomuceno

References:

Article:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v543/n7647_supp/full/543S48a.html

Picture:
http://consciousnessplayground.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/863931.png



7 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting article. The whole concept of the microbiome is so fascinating to me. I've always heard that 'being exposed to dirt as a kid' is good for you because it exposes you to good bacteria but I've never thought about how dogs could play into that. It just adds to the fact that dogs really are mans best friend.
    Posted by Hannah Jordan(B)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Hannah! I think that being around dogs has improved my allergies because I'm exposed to the germs that dogs can carry. I love dogs and now that I have five I never take them for granted.

      Posted by Ana Carolina Nepomuceno

      Delete
  2. Throughout reading this post, I was wondering if this was true just for dogs, or for other household animals. It seems many foreign microbes are common in household pets, and this is why children who are exposed to these microbes have better immunity to such diseases/conditions. I really wish they would continue this study in a larger population, but also with different household pets to see which one has the most impact!

    Posted by Andrew Do (A)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I've always had dogs and hamsters but I'm sure than having any household pet can improve our immunity. I think that parents should allow their kids to get a little dirty. They shouldn't contain them in bubbles because it'll help their bodies build antibodies against foreign viruses and other sicknesses that they'll be exposed to in the future.

      Posted by Ana Carolina Nepomuceno

      Delete
  3. I had heard that having a pet specifically a dog boosts a person's happiness. I had not heard that having a dog could help protect you against microbes. It is definitely interesting to know since I have grown up with dogs.

    Posted by Leah DeLorenzo (A)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this is true because I am a huge lover of dogs. Personally I rarely get sick, and if I do its usually once a year and I believe being exposed to dogs was a great benefactor. I had 4 dogs growing up and and couldn't find myself not around them all the time and the fact that dogs contribute to such positive things is awesome.

    Posted by Givenchy Humes (B)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone! My name is CHERRYSHANE. I was diagnosed with HERPES 2 in April of 2012 when I was 24 years old who just completed my MA in sociology at the University of Northern Colorado where I explored the role of stigma in the process of disclosing a genital herpes diagnosis.I have wanted to get this virus cured, I am happy to share that with you! few weeks ago i came on search on the INTERNET if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr ERO and she also gave the email address (eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com) and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help so i told my husband about it the he ask me to write him because this pain has been constant especially in my knees. so i wrote to Dr ERO telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that it was going to be cured!! then i took the medicine he sent me, which few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured hence i have taken the medicine and then after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE. I can understand that lots of people are been diagnosed with this same virus so am excited to be able to share some of my experiences and thoughts about this man that you can as well contact him for help living with genital herpes is not a good thing..HERE ARE HIS CONTACT: EMAIL : (eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com) OR YOU CAN AS WELL VISIT HIS his website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com BETTER STILL CALL OR whats-app HIM via+2348161850195..GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete