Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Exercised Induced Bronchoconstriction

Have you ever gone to the gym and wondered why you are panting after a strenuous workout? Or have you watched a professional athlete need an oxygen mask after performing the impossible? Being a runner, I was used to feeling shortness of breath after completing a long run, and I was curious to why I always have that feeling. As it turns out, there is a chance that the shortness of breath after exercise can be due to exercise induced bronchoconstriction.

According to this article, exercise induced bronchoconstriction is defined as constriction of the respiratory pathway due to exercise. This happens because of the way we breathe air in during exercise. Some people happen to breathe air in through their mouth, which causes the air to become frigid and dry. This sort of situation also happens when you have a cold and cannot breathe through your mouth. You will notice that overtime, that your throat and mouth will become dry. Nonetheless, this method of breathing causes our airways to begin to constrict which affects the amount of air we can intake. This in turn, causes us to feel a shortness in breath or experience symptoms that are similar to asthma.

If a person has EIB it does not mean that they can no longer exercise or compete in sports. Rather, there are certain medications that have been developed to treat EIB, which allows athletes to be able to continue to compete at peak performance. Some of these medications include montelukast, and bronchodilatorsAccording to this article, people that are trying to maintain an active lifestyle or play a sport for leisure, should try to play sports that are unlikely to cause EIB. An example of a sport that is at low risk of causing EIB is baseball, since there is lots of moist air available and you are only moving for a short internal of time. While exercise induced bronchoconstriction can cause shortness of breath in exercise, it is important to recognize that it is completely normal to be short of breath after exercise.

Posted by: Nicholas Georgette (Group 2)

11 comments:

  1. I want to add that when someone is working out, their muscles are working harder so they need more oxygen as their body is producing more CO2 as by-product. This is probably why people may start breathing through their mouths, which causes them to experience EIB.
    Posted by Lauren Shone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it specifically frigid dry air that cause EIB? If this is the case, do we all get a certain degree of EIB in the wintertime? It confuses me that EIB could occur during strenuous exercise; wouldn't working out cause your body to warm up and thus warm any air that you breath in? Also, don't are mucosal membranes moisten air that we breath in to make is less dry? I apologize for all the questions, I've never heard of exercise induced bronchoconstriction until now.

    -David Frykenberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post really interesting. I used to do track in high school and ran the 300. I was always so winded after a race. I remember our coaches telling us that it would be more beneficial to breathe through our nose rather then taking breath in through the mouth. Would this help prevent EIB? Also as mentioned, certain sports can increase EIB, but once someone has it, are they ever able to completely get rid of it or does it require continuous medicine? I never really heard of this topic but it is really interesting to me since I used to compete in so many sports. I wish I knew of this back then.

    -Matt Cayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, thank you for your comment. From what I read, people that have EIB must take medication once they have been diagnosed. Having EIB is similar condition to that of asthma. So most of the time people who suffer from this condition have their medicine in case of an event that might trigger EIB symptoms.

      Posted by Nicholas Georgette

      Delete
  4. This is a very interesting post. I have noticed that when outside in harsh temperatures, breathing through the nose is more comfortable. I know that with cold weather, repeated exposure to it can cause your body to acclimate to the temperatures. People will shiver less and be less uncomfortable in the same temperature after the repeated exposures. I wonder if progressive repeated exposure to cold dry air could help the body to acclimate, and help prevent Exercised Induced Bronchoconstriction?

    Posted by John Mariano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, thank you for your comment. I am unsure if repeated exposure to cold and dry air would benefit people that suffer from EIB. The article suggests trying to avoid weather and sports that could increase the risk of triggering EIB. However, there are strategies which people can explore if they decide to continue working out. The article linked in this post suggests that you can take prescribed medications or do a long warm up before working out. The article in the post also suggested to cover your nose and mouth if exercising outdoors in cool and dry climate. Hope this helps!

      Posted By: Nicholas Georgette

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post as it is a very interesting topic. As you mentioned, exercise-induced bronchoconstriction is correlated with symptoms such as shortness in breath or other symptoms similar to those of asthma.In fact, EIB is also sometimes refered to as exercise-induced asthma. In what ways are these two conditions similar to different. In other words, what are some defining characteristics of EIB?

    -Emily Wong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, thank you for your comment. Most of the defining characteristics and symptoms of EIB are listed in this post. For the most part, a lot of the defining characteristics of EIB are similar to that of asthma.(coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath) If you would like to read more about EIB here is a link. (https://www.aafa.org/exercise-induced-asthma/)
      Posted by: Nicholas Georgette

      Delete
  6. I always remember being quite out of breath to the point of needing to lie down after some strenuous middle distance workouts such as the 400m and 800m. This generally happened at the beginnings of seasons. I always noticed that my teammates did not feel the same way. The only thing is that I usually felt lightheaded rather than coughing, a common symptom of bronchitis.

    -Isaac Collibee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your post and, found it quite intriguing. I remember trying out for the crew team in high school and nearly collapsing after running the timed mile. I'm familiar with athletes induced asthma, but have never heard of exercise induced brochoconstriction. Is bronchoconstriction strictly related to a persons tendency to breath though their mouth, and the temperature of the air that they breathe in? Also, would this be considered a sort of transient condition that affects everyone, or are there other factors that come into play?

    Posted by Kayla Rosiello

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ose  who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by dr Ose spiritual, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how dr Ose spiritual cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from dr Ose spirirtual healing spell cure of all kinds of sickness you may have.
    Remember delay in treatment leads to death email him @ {oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com} whatsapp  +234813 648 2342 
    https://www.facebook.com/Dr-odion-spell-temple-110513923938220/ 

    ReplyDelete