Sunday, November 10, 2019

Finding gold in our waste sewage: Are you shitting me?

Finding gold in our waste sewage: Are you shitting me? 

Figure1

Whenever I browse through the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), one of the most prestigious academic journals in the states, I never expect to find myself chuckling while reading through some of the world's most esteemed research publications. However, today I found myself both wide-eyed and smiling while reading about how much wealth is just sitting, unharvested, in our waste sewage running under our cities.

Paul Westerhoff from the School of Sustainable Engineering and The Built Environment at Arizona State University (ASU) accidently found that sewage contains precious metals worth millions by when he was trying to study the threat posed by engineered nanomaterials on the environment. He was building off of the research done by Rolf Halden, the director of the center of the Center for Environmental Security at ASU’s Biodesign Institute on whether the contents of sewage sludge are a good indicator of the chemicals and toxins that society uses. Halden says that “wastewater moving through a city is like the blood in a body;” It shows all the chemicals that humans are exposed to. 

Nanoparticles are used abundantly in many products like cosmetics and sunscreens, which ends up in city sewage or in rivers and streams. Westerhoff figured that the best and cheapest way to study the flow of nanoparticles into the environment was to examine sewage sludge. Under their transmission electron microscope (TEM), him and his team not only saw titanium microparticles, but also gold. And they were surprised at the quantity that they found. Within the sewage, they found gold at 1 part per million and other metals like silver at even higher quantities. They estimated that each year in a city of a million people, there is a whopping $13 million dollars of wealth.

Westerhoff thinks that, looking toward a sustainable future, we could create a compact waste processor that can filter out different components of waste. If we implement better wastewater processing, not only could we collect great profit, but we could also prevent heavy metal pollutants, pathogens and environmental pollutants like phosphorus from re-entering the environment. Additionally, it would decrease the rate at which we harvest metals from the earth.

The time is now for our country to begin decreasing our impact on climate change. Westerhoff’s discovery has me curious about the other things hiding in what our society dismisses as waste or unusable materials. As we continue to see an increase in scientific breakthrough in regards to sustainable advancements, I’m left wondering when these concepts are going to be implemented on a large scale in the United States.

Post based on, "Inner Workings: Finding precious metals in unlikely places" by John B. Carey and published in PNAS

Posted by Lauren Mason (3)

7 comments:

  1. No one commented on my post...

    Posted by Lauren Mason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you all, I am Falcao  Roland, I am broadcasting about how Dr Olori saved my life, I was infected with Genital Herpes for A year, my medical Dr told me that there is no total cure and I began to take pills to sustain myself. One day i went to see my medical doctor and i saw a lady who was extremely happy and i asked to know the reason of her happiness and she told me that she was infected with simplex HERPES disease and a herbal doctor called Dr Olori cured her with herbal medicine, i did not believe so i asked my medical doctor to know if she was truly confirmed Herpes positive before, and my medical doctor told me yes that a miracle just happened so i asked her to give me the details of the Dr so i could ask him if he could also cure mine and she gave me Dr Olori Email: droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com I contacted him that very evening and i explained my problem to him and he prepared a medicine and send to me, when i received the medicine he told me how to take it for a period of days and i took it exactly as he said and went for a medical test i was surprise to see my test result as herpes negative. I am so happy, my family and friends that rejected me are back, thank you God. I guarantee you that Dr Olori has solutions to all kinds of problems. If you are facing any stress you can contact him via email droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com or droloriherbalcenter@yahoo.com, call +2348110492548.
      Visit website https://drolorimiraclemedicine.weebly.com/..

      Delete
    2. The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure Email DR. VOODOO at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. This news is very surprising! I wonder if these observations can be found elsewhere besides cities. Also, I wonder how long these sewage metals have existed. The exact timing of when these metals started accumulating could give us insight into other occurrences in cities. For example, I think that this accumulation in valuable metals in sewage could be due to certain nutritional diets people have in cities.

    -David Frykenberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I completely agree. I bet there are lots of places that we ought to be looking to find things to recycle. Also, from my understanding of the topic, I think that the gold, silver, phosphorus, are in constant flow into the sewage systems.

      Posted by Lauren Mason

      Delete
  3. I was depressed when the doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with HERPES and HIV disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet and I found Dr.0sagie contact number. +2347030465649 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.obudu herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.obudu and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on (drosagiesolutiontemple@gmail.com OR DROSAGIESOULTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM ) o or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2347030465649 He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share my testimony about Doctor babaiba who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 1/2 ) by Dr babaiba , i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor babaiba cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get your Dr babaiba healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
    #CANCER,
    #DIABETES,
    #HIV
    #AIDS,
    #Herpes
    #Std
    #URINARYTRACT #INFECTION,
    #CANCER,
    #IMPOTENCE,
    #BARENESS
    #INFERTILITY
    #DIARRHEA
    #ASTHMA
    #SIMPLEXHERPES #GENITAL
    #COLDSORE
    . he also cure my friend from cervical #cancer Email: drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com OR
    call or WHATAPP +2348140046509 I am forever greaful ...

    ReplyDelete