Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Insulin can increase mosquitoes’ immunity to West Nile virus.

Insulin can increase mosquitoes’ immunity to West Nile virus.

A major health issue these days are a result of mosquito bites. During the summer and even into the fall, mosquitos are out in a full force and it is very common to get bit by them. Even the use of bug spray does not guarantee you will not get bit.  What is scary about some diseases from mosquitos is that there are not known ways to cure and prevent them.  A lot of research is being conducted to hopefully find ways to suppress these viruses that the mosquitos are transmitting. This discovery would help to protect us humans against these harmful diseases.
A research team from Washington State University have been looking into ways to protect humans from these mosquito transmitted diseases. They focused mainly of stopping the infection at the mosquito level. They first began their research with fruit flies due to them having immune responses that are the most similar to mosquitoes. They discovered that there is an insulin like receptor in insects and when it is activated it inhibits replication of viruses. To see if this was effective in mosquitos or not, they fed them blood that had the specific insulin. Once the insulin was in the mosquito, they found that the receptor was activated and suppressed the virus.
As they conducted more tests, they were able to suppress other known viruses such as dengue and Zika that are transmitted through mosquitos. This experiment showed the first time that there was a connection between insulin and a immune response pathway, JAK/STAT. These results are paving the way for more ways to hopefully prevent mosquito spread diseases. If this method proves to continuously have positive outcomes, it can help reduce the chance of getting these diseases. The reason being that if more insulin receptors are activated in more mosquitos, then there is a smaller chance that the disease will be carried by them. As a result, if less of the disease is carried and you are bit by a mosquito, the chance of you getting the disease decreases. I am curious though how this method will be implemented into the mosquito population. This could be really beneficial for everyone. I honestly worry about getting any of these diseases during the summer when I’m out at night so if this method is used more often then I’ll feel a lot more comfortable.  

Posted by Matt Cayer (10)

6 comments:

  1. I dont think there is a way to reach out to all the mosquito populations but trying to find a way to inject insulin into mosquito nesting places can help although I doubt our ability to reach nearly enough mosquitoes. Helping on the person level would be the best bet.

    - King Wahib

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also thinking similarly that it would be impossible to deliver insulin to an entire population of mosquitos. An interesting discovery, but I am not sure if it is possible to transmit insulin in any way, other than possibly introducing mosquitos that are viable and have a change to their dna that causes higher amounts of insulin production.

    -Isaac Collibee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Olori herbal medicine is a good remedy for Herpes, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Olori cures Herpes, I decided to contact him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Olori herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Olori, reach him on droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com and droloriherbalcenter@yahoo.com or Call/WhatsApp +2348110492548
    DOCTOR Olori CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    *HPV
    *HSV 1 & HSV 2
    *ASTHMA
    *DIABETES
    *CANCER
    *HIV /AIDS
    *HEPATITIS
    *CERVICAL CANCER
    https://dr-olori-traditional-healng-herbs.weeblysite.com/
    https://m.facebook.com/droloriherbalcenter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really interesting that insulin can help provide an immune system boost for mosquitos. Perhaps an efficient way of spreading insulin in mosquito populations is putting an ointment in mosquito spawning grounds like lakes and ponds so that way the mosquito larvae can absorb it as they mature.

    -Charissa Yu

    ReplyDelete